Today saw the launch of M-Akiba, a long awaited product that through which ordinary Kenyans tcan buy government bonds on their phones, using mobile money. The can purchase units as small as Kshs 3,000 (~$30) and earn 10%.
Some tweets about the events today:
- The Central Bank of Kenya governor (@njorogep) said #MAkiba bond is in line with @CBKKenya strategy to increase the level of financial inclusivity in the economy – @NSEKenya
- #MAkiba is a collaborative initiative between @NSEKenya @KeTreasury @cdsckenya @SafaricomLtd @AIRTEL_KE @KCBGroup – @NSEKenya
- Phase One of M-Akiba Runs for 3 weeks targeting Sh150M. Main offer targeting Sh4.85Bn in Q2-Q3 Will run for 3 Months – @kenyanwalstreet
- M-Akiba bond has so far been Ksh. 535k purchased. I am surprised Kenyans were this interested. So far highest buy is at Ksh. 50k – @MumbiWarui
- Day One Of M-Akiba; Bonds worth Ksh 1.0 Million Bought Via Mobile Phones In the first 60 Minutes http://kenyanwallstreet.com/m-akiba-retail-bond-goes-live … @kenyanwalstreet
- To trade #MAkiba bond open a CDS account by dialling *889# either on @SafaricomLtd @AIRTEL_KE .The initial investment per account is 3,000. – @NSEKenya
- CDSC to manage the register of the bond, offer IPO managements system and the depository and settlement services on behalf of the government – @cdsckenya
- We have just witnessed the launch of the first M-Akiba bond at the Treasury. It has a coupon rate of 10%p.a.Tradable through the phone.- @JimnahMbaru
- The #MAkiba bond entry level is kshs 3,000 compared to the current entry point of Ksh 50,000 for any govt securities. @M_AKIBA2017 – @NSEKenya
- #MAkiba bond is a tax free bond that will attract a 10% interest paid biannually within a period of 3 years @CMAKenya @cdsckenya @CBKKenya – @M_AKIBA2017
- We are receiving A LOT of transactions per sec. In case of any delays, please just try again. Thank you for the overwhelming response so far – @M_AKIBA2017
- UPDATE: Subscription figures- @AIRTEL_KE Airtel Money -1,300 @SafaricomLtd MPESA-420 Total collection KES 2.4 million. AS AT 4PM TODAY – @M_AKIBA2017
- Kenyanwallstreet: M-Akiba Mobile Bond Goes Live
- Rookie Manager: Is M-Akiba A Good Way To Invest Your Money?
- The Mindspeak event where with Henry Rotich, the Cabinet Secretary of Kenya’s National Treasury, spoke about the Eurobond and M-Akiba bonds
- M-Akiba is a three year fixed coupon infrastructure “special limited offer” bond
- Issue number MAB1/2017/3
- Amount Kshs 150 million (~$1.5 million) issued in March 2017
- Apply by *889#, and runs from 23 March to 7 April and will be allocated on a first come first served basis
- Minimum investment is Kshs 3,000, maximum investment is Kshs 140,000 (~$1,400) per day
- Coupon 10% a year
- Bond will be listed on the NSE and will be tradable by phone from April 11
- Trading commission is 0.1% of actual allocations
- M-akiba interest is tax exempt
- Pays interest every 6 months: on (2017) 9 Oct, (2018) 9 April, 8 Oct., (2019), 8 April, 7 Oct., (2020) 6 April
- From a prospectus in a local newspaper.
‘Akiba’ means ‘savings’ in Swahili
$1 = Ksh 103
Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your blog.
You have some really great articles and I feel I would
be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!
But these high risks may also come with excessive rewards. http://intensedebate.com/people/suarez82ritchie
Pingback: News about NSE Bonds - May 2017