Solid portfolio gains, some speculative buys since last quarterly review in August 2010
Diamond Trust ↑
Kenya Airways ↓
Stanbic (Uganda) ↑
– Best performer: Scangroup up 74% this quarter
– Worst performer: (tie) Kenya Airways, Safaricom both down 16%
– In: Safaricom, Vipingo (error)
– Out: None
– Increase Kenol, EABL
– Decrease: None
– Unexpected gains/losses: None
Events & Outlook: – Performance: The Portfolio is up 29% in the last three months while the NSE Index is down 1.5%.
– Got dividends from: Stanbic, EABL & KQ, awaiting Safaricom (which will be paid by M-Pesa for the second year) after getting some Safaricom shares, and attending their (no SWAG) AGM
– Kenol and the Government reached some settlement which has stabilized their share price, but the battle exposed other sector players like NOCK, Gulf Energy, and Addax.
– Safaricom appear to have withstood the initial price war by Zain/Airtel as there is now concern about how long Airtel can keep the low prices in Africa.
– New blood: The Kenya Government is doing a KPLC doing a rights issue, and share conversion of preference, while private companies on the horizon may include CIC Insurance, CFC Life, Deacons, and Family Bank