Shares Portfolio May 2013
Performance: Compared to last quarter and year ago, the portfolio is up 9% in value from February (excluding new investments), while the NSE 20 share index is up is up 7.5% since February 2013.
Bralirwa (Rwanda) ↑
Centum (ICDCI) ↑
Diamond Trust ↑
East African Portland Cement ↓
Equity Bank ↑
Stanbic (Uganda) ↑
In: Centum, Portland Cement
Out: Total, EABL
Increase: Equity, Kenol, Safaricom
Best performer: Safaricom (up 30%), Equity, Stanbic
Worst performer: Kenol (down 29%)
Looking forward to:
- Dividends from Equity, Barclays, KCB, Scangroup, Bralirwa and Safaricom.
- Coldtusker writes about upcoming rights issues at the NSE including Uchumi and National Bank.
- Still yet to venture into Kenya government treasury bonds a year later.
- Access Kenya is being bought out by Dimension Data and will be de-listed from the Nairobi stock exchange – pending regulatory approval, shareholder approval, and no better offers.
- Citi released bearish reports during the Kenya election on Equity and KCB based on unsustainable interest rates, and growing non performing loans, among other issues in the Kenyan banking sector.
- Citi also had a report on Kenya Airways predicting two more years of losses, difficulty financing Boeing 787 planes without raising more capital, that is probably beyond the appetite of current KQ shareholders and other NSE investors. It mentioned the possibility of Etihad Airways extending their new code share partnership into an investment in KQ, but the airline has to remain 51% Kenyan owned in order to enjoy preferential African route rights. Other large shareholders in the airline are teh Government of Kenya, KLM airline, and the International Finance Corporation.
- The Safaricom 2013 results (PDF) results released this morning showed that revenue grew by 16% to $1.45 billion (including MPesa revenue of $256 million) and profit before tax grew 47% to $300 million.
- Umeme of Uganda which cross-listed at the NSE has still not had a trade in Kenya despite some okay performance in the last few months.