On March 31, 2009, Google launched the local domain for Google Maps in Kenya, – an interactive map with many features and business listings.
- Users can add locations to their own my maps (Local celebrities have contributed (Wangari Mathai, Churchill, and Julie Gichuru)
- Content can be added to maps by individuals such as photos of a place, restaurant reviews, hotel information (no. of rooms, visa card accepted) and Wikipedia entries.
- Photos that have coordinates can be over-laid.
- Business owners can add their business locations and details.
- Collaborate users can share information and invite/select others to contribute on parties, events, add maps and event-related information.
- Privacy information can be designated as private or public (search engine accessible).
- Local websites can embed google maps by simply by adding some code.
- Mobile phone same features for Kenya also accessible via Google Maps for Mobile – like search, driving directions, show traffic, favorites, and “my location”.
- Mapmaker: Tool can be enhanced with google mapmaker.
All these are Free
Other Mapping Events
- March 31 Skunkworks Tuesday at KCCT Teleposta Towers 4th Floor, from 5.45 pm. A talk by Dennis Karanja, Regional Director EA Sybase, a mobile phone application development company.
- More developer workshops being held today @Google.
- Google will also sponsor Where Camp Africa on Saturday April 4.