Inspired by Majonzi and the increasing cost of living here’s some free stuff you can get in Nairobi.
some of these may be out-dated, and please feel free to add any others
1. ‘Free’ books: at the Book Villa. Become a member and read as many new, best sellers, finbooks, travel non-fiction books etc.
2. ‘Free’ breakfast: at Books First/ Nakumatt buy one get one free on Sunday morning
3. ‘Free burger’: at Steers buy one get one free every Wednesday
4. Free Internet: Hotposts can be found at Mobil/Oil Libya stations, as well as Tamasha and Alfajiri and some Java restaurants
5. ‘Free pizza’: buy one get one free on Tuesday at Pizza Inn and buy one get one free on Friday at Debonairs
6. ‘Free movie meal’ (hot dog, soda, popcorn) at Nu Metro on Monday with purchase of a movie ticket
7. Free magazines/newspapers: Read the latest issues at many offices, salons/barber shops and banks, but you have to rotate to get variety.
8. ‘Free bank loans’: use your credit card carefully and pay off the full amount at the end of the month
9. Free money transfer: Safaricom’s M-Pesa is great, but if concerned about cost, use the banking network to transfer money free. Just deposit money in the recipients account for them to withdraw at their local branch instantly
10. Free classified advertising: place a classified ad in the Nairobi Star newspaper; send a text message and it runs on the next day
11. ‘Free calls’: Safarciom is offering free night calls, from 9 pm till the end of June. But you have to top up your account daily, and hope that you can get through as the network can get congested
12. Free investment advice: online forums like Stockskenya, Nairobist.